At the turn of the last century a football team known as the Riverstown Charles Kickhams existed in Riverstown, playing their games in a field opposite John "Shirty" Sextons house.
A Gaelic football team was formed in 1913 in Kildangan, playing their first game against Booleigh on Sunday 4th October 1913. This team disbanded in 1915, some of the players transferring to Monasterevin.
After a hiatus of some ten years Kildangan GAA reformed in 1925 and appeared in the 1925 Junior League Final against Two Mile House. No result of that match has been found.
Kildangan had their first success when they won the Junior league in 1930. Their next appearance in a league final was in 1931, where after two replays, they were beaten by Straffan on a scoreline of 1-5 to 0-4. Kildangan made amends by winning the following years competition. Kildangan also had appearances in league finals in 1946 and 1952.
Pictured are the team from 1937/1938; 'Snibs Connolly, Ned Regan, Paddy Behan, Tommy Curran, Mick Behan, 'Smucks' Ryan, Bill Broderick, George Sexton, Michael Dempsey, Jimmy Mullally, Jack 'Cushey' Brennan, Jack 'Shirty' Sexton, Willie Sexton, John Joe Martin, Eamonn Lawlor, Tommy O'Beirne, Jack Sexton.
We played our first championship final in 1936, where we were beaten by Celbridge, who scored 3-6 to Kildangan’s 1-2
In 1942 Kildangan beat Cappagh in the final of the Junior Championship, played on Nov 1st in Newbridge. The team which won this championship was as follows:-
Jack(Shirty) Sexton, George Sexton, John Sexton, Eamonn Lawlor, Paddy Behan, Tommy Berns, Michael Ryan, Hal Conway, Jimmy Behan, John Joe Martin, Joseph Conlan, Tommy Behan, John Merrins, Bill Broderick, Michael O'Sullivan and Thomas Curran.
In 1943 Kildangan reached the Intermediate Final, also against Ardclough. The final score was Ardclough 2-12 Kildangan 1-3, the game was played in front of a then record attendance of 1658 spectators in Newbridge.
The following years were somewhat barren, and the club ceased to exist in the 1960s, mainly due to high unemployment and an exodus of some of the more talented players, such as Paddy and Eddie O'Loughlin to Round Towers.
The club was re-established in 1970, some players from this era were John Casey, Noel Forde, Ollie Hickey, Eamon Foley, Willie Dunne, Paddy White, Pat Kelly and the Lawless brothers Jimmy and Aiden.
This team contested a Junior Championship final against Robertstown in 1980, in which Kildangan were narrowly beaten. Following this final the club once again folded due to a lack of players. However the underage scene remained active and many Kildangan underage players played on a joint Kildangan Nurney team
Kildangan GAA Club was re-established and affiliated to Kildare County Board on 3rd April 2001. The newly formed club played our first game against Caragh on 23rd April 2001. The First committee was:
Patron, Fr Paul McNamee,
President Thomás Kavanagh
Chairman Aidan Lawless,
Secretary John Miller
Treasures Jim Miller and Tomas Kavanagh
PRO Norrie QuigleySuccess followed rapidly and Kildangan won the Junior league in 2003. This year also saw the establishment of Kildangan Underage section, led by Declan McGrath, Leo Hickey, John Miller and Charlie Sexton.
2004 brought more success, and Kildangan won the Junior league and then had a win over Sarsfields in the Junior C final, on a scoreline of 0-14 to 0-10. In 2005 Kildangan reached the Junior B final, against Caragh GAA where we were beaten narrowly.
In 2008, Kildangan annexed the Division 5 league title by beating Suncroft in the final after extra time, Kildangan scored 0-11 to Suncrofts 1-07.
More O'Ferrall Park
A new chapter was written in Kildangan GAA history in 2009 when we moved to our new grounds. The grounds were officially opened and dedicated to Roderic More O'Ferrall by Seamus Howlin on 21st May 2010.
Kildangan GAA were honoured to be named Kildare GAA Club of the Year in 2010