News‎ > ‎

Seniors Get the Points Against Grangenolvin

posted 1 Jul 2016, 13:29 by Kildangan PRO   [ updated 1 Jul 2016, 14:25 ]
With the chance of a shield final at stake, Kildangan fought hard to get a 2-7 to 0-11 win over Grangenolvin in
More O'Ferrall Park on Thursday evening. Heavy rain earlier in the day resulted in a greasy pitch for the game, but this did not upset either team very much.

John Miller got the first score of the game, but Grangenolvin came straight back into it four minutes later. Damien Broughall scored a brilliant point from near the half way line to give Kildangan the edge. Ryan Moran then followed up with two points to extend Kildangan's lead to three. Robert Hanley scored the last point of the half for Kildangan from a free. Grange converted a free of their own just short of the break, with the 0-5 apiece at half time.

Grange got a score from three minutes after the restart to lead by one. Robert Hanley began the second half as he finished the first, scoring from a free. Grange had a goal chance here, but Kildangan goalkeeper Colin Christie sent it out for a '45, which would give Grange the lead once again. Half back Dermot Hickey made a fantastic run from his position straight through the middle of the field, evading a number of Grange players along the way, and was rewarded for his efforts when the shot he took went over the bar.

The real turning point came when Robert Hanley was awarded a free in the fortieth minute. Looking like it was about to go wide, the ball landed in on top of midfielder Eric O'Hara, who punched the ball into the top left corner. Grange got another point from a free, and had the opportunity for a second from a '45, but failed to score. Stephen Quigley landed the ball in on top of Declan McGrath, who palmed it back to Ryan Moran. The young corner forward took a rocket of a shot which was well saved by the Grange 'keeper, but Moran made no mistakes with the rebound. The final three scores fell to Grangenolvin, but the damage was done and Kildangan ran out 2-7 to 0-11.

Kildangan travel to Ardclough for the second round on Sunday in a very good position to get to the shield final. Throw-in takes place at 6.00pm.

Kildangan: Colin Christie; Luke Barry, Bryan Adams, Jordan Kaye; Gabriel Murtagh, David Christie, Dermot Hickey (0-1); Eric O'Hara, Damien Broughall (0-1); John Miller (0-1), Stephen Quigley, Robert Hanley (0-2); Ryan Moran (1-2), Tom Moran, Declan McGrath
Substitutes: Patrick Kelly (for Adams (black card), 57 minutes) , Andrew Wilson.

By Andrew Wilson