News‎ > ‎

Seniors suffer loss in opening round of league

posted 13 Jun 2021, 11:33 by Louise Fitzgerald   [ updated 13 Jun 2021, 13:04 ]

Club Crest - Kildangan GAA, Co. Kildare

EMS Copiers Senior Football League Division 4 Group B Round 2

Kildangan V Ballykelly

 Sunday 13th June 2021 

A warm More O’Ferrall Park was the venue for Kildangan’s opening round of their senior league which saw them facing local rivals Ballykelly. The Kildangan team were looking to build on last week’s championship final success but missing some key players and facing a good Ballykelly side meant that victory wasn’t meant to be for Kildangan as the hard fought game would end in favour of the visitors, on a scoreline of 0-12 to 2-12.


The game started well for Ballykelly as they set a marker for the game, gaining possession from the kick out and opening the scoring with a point before they quickly added to their lead with a goal in the opening minutes and making it difficult for Kildangan to get settled. But Kildangan didn’t let this stop them as they began to build from midfield, fielding the ball well and working it up the pitch, opening their scoring account with a free and a lovely point from play.


Ballykelly looked to get in on goal again but a superb save from young keeper Séan Fitzgerald ensured that Ballykelly would be denied on this occasion. A cynical foul from Kildangan midfielder Robert McGrath left Kildangan battling with 14 men and in this time Ballykelly made the most of their extra man outscoring Kildangan by 1-02 to 0-03. Kildangan finished the half with a lovely team score and left the score line at 0-06 to 2-05.


After the break the game flowed well with scoring chances taken by each team, keeping their leads building one point at a time. Ballykelly were keen to get in on goal but fantastic defending in the back and brilliant saves on numerous occasions by the Kildangan keeper meant that Ballykelly would build on their lead through points alone. Kildangan fought hard and managed to reduce the visitors lead to a goal after converted frees from Jack Drumm, Cian Murtagh and a point from play from Eoin Murphy.


Both teams saw a black card each in the game, while Ballykelly unfortunately saw two reds, playing the second half with a man down and losing another in the closing minutes but even with the man advantage Kildangan couldn’t manage to get keep the score board ticking and stop Ballykelly from building too. The two first half goals from Ballykelly proved the difference between the teams as the game finished 0-12 to 2-12.


In the end there was many positives that the Kildangan team and management could take from the game with stand out performances from a number of players, great scores and a performance they could be proud of. Ballykelly worked hard for their win and deserved it. Kildangan will look to build on this performance when they take on Milltown away next weekend!