News‎ > ‎

Seniors Victory Over TMH Secures Place in the Championship Final

posted 29 Sept 2020, 14:23 by Louise Fitzgerald   [ updated 29 Sept 2020, 14:23 ]
Joe Fox Tool and Plant Hire Reserve D Championship Semi-Final       Kildangan V Two Mile House         27th September 2020

The sun was shining and the breeze settled as Kildangan prepared to take on Two Mile House in the championship semi-final last Sunday evening in Hawkfield. Kildangan cemented their place in this semi-final are having secured maximum points in their 2 group games. With Kilcullen conceding in the opening round of the group stages and a well deserved victory over Sarsfields under their belts the lads trained hard in preparation for this game. The crowd gathered and anticipation was high as many hoped to see the team reach the final after a five year absence. The team's hard work and determination paid off and ensured the hopes of the crowd were achieved as a strong team performance in the second half saw the game finish 1-13 to 2-08.

As the match kicked off, Kildangan tried to get on the front foot gaining possession but loose passing allowed TMH to overturn the ball, earning themselves a scoreable free which was easily converted and settling them into the game. The loose passing continued giving TMH a further advantage allowing them to double their score. The score board showed 0-0 to 0-2 in favour of TMH before we managed to register our first score of the game after a good play by Stephen. Things looked up as we drew level through Jack after Aaron managed to win back the ball from the TMH kick out. But loose passing and miscommunication crept back in and caused us issues in defence, leading to a TMH goal. Two Mile House managed to register a further goal and a point as a result of errors and fouling before we managed to get going again through a converted free by Jack, won by Dermot, leaving the score 0-3 to 2-3. Daniel kept us in touch through a great solo effort, followed by a point from Rob and another by Stephen in between 2 further TMH points but we still trailed by 5 at half time as TMH we able to counter attack off the back of our errors and use them to their advantage, half time score 0-6 to 2-5. 

Half time saw two substitutions on the Kildangan team as Shane and Liam entered the play and a positional change saw Padraig move from midfield to full forward. 

As the second half kicked off, Kildangan seemed to pick up their pace, looking to leave the errors in the first half as Paul made a superb block to keep a TMH effort out, in which Aaron succeeded in winning their 45, passing it off quickly and a number of fouls from TMH helped us to move up the field as Daniel converted the resulting free. It didn't take Two Mile House long to get back in the swing of things scoring 2 points in reply bringing their lead to 6 points, with the scoreboard showing 0-7 to 2-7. But from then Kildangan managed to pick up their pace even further, beginning to dominate all over the pitch with strong defence leading to many of TMH's efforts sailing wide and our attack making great runs for the ball. The turning point of the game came just before the second half water break as Shane's pass landed in the hands of TMH defence but sheer determination from Padraig saw him win back the ball, taking on the keeper and putting the ball into the bottom corner of the net. This goal gave the lads the lift they needed to keep going with the margin reduced to 2 points and a quick break to prepare themselves for the final quarter. 

After the restart Kildangan never looked back scoring 4 unanswered points, 2 by Stephen and 2 by Daniel, putting Kildangan in the lead for the first time. TMH attempted to regroup but their goal effort was superbly blocked by Bryan close to the line, as play continued TMH won and converted a free, cutting the lead to a single point. Our last score summed up the the teams hard work and ensured they secured their place in the final as Jack's effort from the left side curled over the bar, leaving the final score 1-13 to 2-08.

With a much improved second half performance from all the lads, with many outstanding individual performances, they were deserved winners of a place in the final. The team now turn to preparations for this game in which they will take on a strong side from Ballyteague next Sunday evening (4th October) at 7:30pm in Hawkfield. We wish the team and management the very best of luck in their preparations for the game. Cill Daingin Abú!!